His Story Over Me | Su Historia Sobre Mi

Traducción en español abajo.


Hello, family and friends!

It brings me so much joy to be able to share this post with you, because it’s a post not to share about what I’ve been doing, but instead what the Lord has been doing in me. This month, I celebrated 3 whole years of living and serving here in Guatemala! When I moved here, I knew that the Lord would work in ways beyond what I was expecting, and that is exactly what he has done. This post is a testimony to how he has moved in my life and transformed my heart over the last couple of years. It is a testimony of how my faith has grown tremendously because of the seeds that he planted and made grow. He has been so incredibly faithful, and all the praise, all the glory, and all the honor belong to him.

A few days ago, I was listening to a sermon, and there was an expression the pastor used to describe the ancient church: reverent without intimacy. I paused the sermon and began to reflect on what it meant to be reverent of the Lord without having intimacy with him, and within moments it hit me—that was what my faith had been for years upon years of my life. I had been reverent of the Lord, but without drawing close to him. I tried to avoid offending him, but without knowing what obedience really looked like. I was respectful, but without entering into deep love. I hoped I was walking a path pleasing to him, but I wasn’t putting in the effort to know the desires of his heart. The most important piece in order to have a close relationship with him was missing—intimacy—but it was something that I hadn’t experienced for myself, and so I lacked the desire and motivation to seek it.

I have a distinct memory from when I was around 14 or 15 years old, and the youth leader at church asked us to openly share how our relationship with the Lord was. Typically, in this type of situation, I wouldn’t have given an honest answer, because for much of my life I strived to meet the expectations I felt that others had placed on me, and a lot of times that meant maintaining an outward image of perfection even if it wasn’t an accurate reflection of my own heart. But when the youth leader asked that question, I distinctly remember answering with a sincere answer: “I don’t feel like I really have a relationship with the Lord.” And she followed up by asking “And what can you do to change that?” I replied, “I think I need to read more of the bible.” The Lord revealed himself to me through such a simple conversation. He was opening my eyes even then to recognize the state of my faith; while I may have been pretending to have a strong faith around my peers, inwardly I was lacking the intimacy of what true faith should have. At the same time, he gave me the very answer to a struggle I continued to face for more than 12 years after that moment: to know the Lord deeper, I needed to immerse myself in scripture, because when we encounter the Word of God, we encounter Jesus himself (John 1). But I lacked a desire to read scripture, I didn’t feel impacted by it when I did read it, and there was little outside encouragement or accountability to regularly read and study the Word, and so I rarely opened my bible. But the Lord planted a seed that day.

About two and a half years ago at a worship night, it was a friend’s turn to share her testimony with the group, and I hadn’t yet heard the story of how she came to know Christ, so I was eager to listen. But she surprised me with what she shared, because she started to explain how her testimony went far beyond a story of an experience that led her to the Lord; her testimony was an ongoing story of how the Lord was working and moving in her life, revealing himself to her and teaching her. She shared story after story of how the Lord was showing up in small and big ways in her life, and I was left with a flood of questions, but the primary one being: “Wait, you mean the Lord is constantly speaking directly to you and teaching you?” I didn’t understand this concept because I had never experienced it before. Having such a close relationship with the Lord and encountering him on a daily basis was something that I simply wasn’t familiar with, as my experience with the Lord had always been marked with distance. That day, another seed was planted.

A few months later, during a bible study, we began to discuss the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives, and one specific question was “Who in the Trinity do you pray to?” I had never before given much thought to this topic, and as I thought about it, I realized that I had never even thought of the Holy Spirit as an option to whom I could direct my prayers. He was more abstract to me, whereas the Father and the Son were more concrete. I could look back and recognize how he was working and speaking in various moments of my life, but I wasn’t close to him. That discussion sparked a desire in me to develop a relationship with the Holy Spirit and to be more aware of how he was working in my daily life. That day, the Lord planted yet another seed.

The Lord then led me to a community of people with a passion for living out and spreading the gospel. As the months had passed, my recognition and awareness of the presence and movement of the Holy Spirit had grown, and in this community, I could feel that his presence was strong and palpable. I found myself surrounded by people who deeply knew and loved the Lord and were immersed in his Word. I recognized that their relationships with him were deep and intimate, that they weren’t surface-level, as mine had been for so long. I also realized that the depth of their passion and love for the Lord wasn’t something fleeting or temporary, like the “Jesus-high” I had experienced after retreats or conferences in the past. It was lasting; it was who they were; it permeated into all aspects of their lives; it was the state of their heart; it was their identity. I began to encounter the Holy Spirit more, and the desire to know the Lord deeply that I had been lacking, became present. The seeds the Lord had been planting were growing. And the Lord started to move in that space.

He started revealing to me the extent to which I didn’t know him. The seed that he planted more than 12 years prior—that in order to know him I needed to immerse myself in his Word—had grown and was now producing fruit; for the first time in my life, I had a hunger to read his Word. I desired to know him and to know his heart, and I began to encounter him in the scriptures. I began to read, and he began to speak. I started to understand that the Word of God truly is alive and active (Hebrews 4:12). The Lord started to place specific words on my heart and along with it brought deep conviction. The first thing he did was humble me. He started to strip me of my pride and to reveal to me my self-reliance—dependence on myself with no dependence on him, relying on my own intellect, my own wisdom, my own knowledge, my own judgment, my own will, and my ability to control circumstances and carefully plan out and execute everything in my life. He revealed to me that I was giving him hardly any place to move and to work in my life because I was so self-reliant, that I believed I didn’t need him. While I was claiming to place him first and trust in him, it was evident that wasn’t the case. As he humbled me, I began to open the door to allow him greater access to my heart.

I continued to immerse myself in the scriptures, and the Holy Spirit brought transformation. I began to know who God is according to his Word, and I began to learn my identity in him, understanding my worth and value in his eyes instead of in the eyes of the world. He gently and lovingly yet repeatedly called me out and disciplined me, as a good father does (Hebrews 12). It was a season filled with lots of tears and confrontation, as I received his correction and became vulnerable before him, recognizing, acknowledging, and asking for forgiveness where I hadn’t been walking in obedience or truth. In the beginning I was resistant and easily offended by how he was calling me out, but as time passed, I became comfortable in this season of discomfort, welcoming correction and expecting it, knowing that as I let him direct me, my heart was becoming more aligned with his. I allowed the Holy Spirit to speak and gradually began to let go of the human wisdom I had been clinging to (1 Corinthians 3: 18-19). I began to learn and see clearly that the Holy Spirit is my greatest teacher (John 14:26; John 16:13).

I began to let go of the identity that I had both created for myself and allowed others to define over me, and I allowed the Lord to speak truth into me about my identity in him. And as he did, he brought abundant freedom. He set me free from identity in religion and redirected my identity to be in him, speaking over me my identity as a daughter of the King. He spoke to me about how much I was seeking human praise and approval, instead of praise and approval from him (John 12:43). He showed me how much I was living to meet and fulfill the spoken and unspoken expectations of those around me, instead of seeking to walk in obedience with the will of the Father and seeking only his approval. He showed me that my focus was primarily on the world, and not on things above (Colossians 3:2).

I began to learn how to worship, honor, praise and glorify him, now with both reverence and intimacy. I enjoyed being in his presence, learning from him, hearing him speak, and watching how I was being molded and refined in the process. I started to recognize and let go of other idols in my life, of areas I was prioritizing over him and things that led me further from him instead of closer to him. I started to recognize areas of disbelief and began to surrender them to the Lord, gaining trust and confidence in his Word and his promises. He continued to humble me, yet he did it in love and compassion, affirming me in my identity in him with each step. I began to see the fruit of walking in obedience with him and of walking in alignment with his will.

As the months passed, he continued to impact my heart. I started to understand the extent of my brokenness, of how undeserving I was of his sacrifice on the cross, and of the depth of his love for me to sacrifice himself to purchase my freedom, to nail my sins to the cross right there with him in order to set me free from death (Colossians 2:14). While the gospel was a truth I had known and accepted, having grown up hearing it often, very few times in my life had it struck me deeply, as if the words were so familiar, they had lost meaning to me. I began to ask why my faith had not previously brought true and lasting change in my life, why I had brief moments of closeness with the Lord and then long stretches of distance and separation where I wasn’t actively pursuing him. I read this verse and saw it as a description of my own distant heart: “And so the Lord says, “These people say they are mine. They honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me” (Isaiah 29:13). I began to recognize that hearing a message and accepting it to be true was far different than deeply believing it in a way that brings distinct transformation. I started to understand that in order to genuinely be calling Jesus my Savior, I needed to recognize my own need to be saved, and I needed to be willing to actually follow him and walk in obedience with him as he commanded us, instead of being the one who called him Lord but didn’t carry out his will. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 7:21). But to do so required humility, and it required that I stop trying to be my own savior—self-reliant and separate from him. It required sacrifice, giving up my own desires and comfort, and following his will. It required turning away from the things of this world and living in the Spirit, expectant of the suffering and rejection that would come as a result. All of these were things I hadn’t been willing to do; in essence, they were evidence that I hadn’t been willing to take up my cross and follow Jesus; I was holding onto my own life. “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?’” (Matthew 16: 24-26).

One evening, the Lord brought me to my knees in repentance, convicted and overwhelmed by the weight of my sin, with nonstop tears streaming down my face. My mentality towards sin had previously been based on a list of right and wrong that had been laid out before me and that I followed to prevent feelings of guilt or to prevent judgement from those around me, but almost nothing about it was personal with the Lord. It’s hard to recognize that you’re offending and hurting someone when you maintain distance with that person, but since I had cultivated a space of intimacy and closeness with the Lord, my heart was now able to see just how much I had hurt him in my sin. He spoke deeply into me that evening, opening my eyes to recognize ways I had been offending him that I hadn’t ever realized. That night, I grieved in a way that I had never grieved before; my spirit mourned in sincere repentance with an awareness that self-reliance and distance from the Father would not bring me eternal life. That night, the profoundness and powerfulness of the gospel hit me, and I called out to Jesus as my Lord and as my Savior, words that were no longer empty to me but were now accompanied with genuine repentance, belief, and faith. The command was simple: “Repent and believe” (Mark 1:15), yet it took me up until this point in my life to humble myself and carry out that command in the way he was asking me to. “If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved” (Romans 10: 9-10). That evening, he saved me; by his grace, he gave me the most beautiful gift that he has freely offered us all: salvation. “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2: 8-9).

In the weeks that followed, the Lord repeatedly spoke to me about walking from darkness into light, from death into life. He kept highlighting the distinct difference between the previous life and the new life. “For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins” (Colossians 1: 13-14). Over and over again, I was struck by Paul’s statement, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me (Galatians 2: 20). The Lord brought back to the forefront something he had put on my heart over a year prior: baptism. As he drew my attention to this theme of death to life, he highlighted specific passages of scripture. “Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life” (Romans 6: 3-4). “For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead” (Colossians 2:12). Though I had already been baptized as an infant, it had been on my heart for months to be baptized as an adult, professing my own faith, walking from darkness into light, from death into life, to leave behind the old and walk into the new. Just as strongly as the Lord had brought conviction to my heart about my sin, he brought conviction to my heart that it was time to walk in obedience by professing my faith in baptism. And so, with eyes full of tears of gratitude for the faithfulness of God, I was baptized. "And Peter said to them, ‘Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit’” (Acts 2:38).

A year ago, I chose the word growth to encompass what I experienced throughout 2020. Without a doubt, the word that I choose for 2021 is intimacy. It was through intimacy that the Lord reached me. Through intimacy, he revealed himself to me, spoke to me, humbled me, disciplined me, transformed me, and saved me. “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” (James 4:8).

Thank you, Jesus, for your faithfulness and for your unfailing love.


* * *


¡Hola, familia y amigos!

Me da mucha alegría poder compartir esta publicación con ustedes, porque no es una publicación para compartir lo que he estado haciendo, sino lo que el Señor ha estado haciendo en mí. ¡Este mes, celebré 3 años de vivir y servir aquí en Guatemala! Cuando me mudé aquí, sabía que el Señor obraría más allá de lo que yo esperaba, y eso es exactamente lo que él ha hecho. Esta publicación es un testimonio de cómo él se ha movido en mi vida y ha transformado mi corazón en los últimos años. Es un testimonio de cómo mi fe ha crecido enormemente por las semillas que él sembró e hizo crecer. Él ha sido increíblemente fiel, y toda la alabanza, toda la gloria y todo el honor le pertenecen.

Hace algunos días, yo estaba escuchando un sermón y había una expresión que el pastor usaba para describir la iglesia antigua: reverencia sin intimidad. Hice una pausa en el sermón y comencé a reflexionar sobre lo que significaba ser reverente del Señor sin tener intimidad con él, y dentro de algunos momentos me di cuenta: esa era mi fe durante años y años de mi vida. Yo había sido reverente del Señor, pero sin acercarme a él. Trataba de evitar ofenderlo, pero sin saber cómo era realmente la obediencia. Era respetuosa, pero sin entrar en el amor profundo. Esperaba estar caminando por un camino que le agradecía, pero no me estaba esforzando por conocer los deseos de su corazón. Faltaba la parte más importante para tener una relación cercana con él--la intimidad--pero era algo que yo no había experimentado por mí misma, entonces me faltaban las ganas y la motivación para buscarla.

Tengo un recuerdo distinto de cuando tenía más o menos 14 o 15 años, y el líder de jóvenes de la iglesia nos pidió que compartiéramos abiertamente cómo era nuestra relación con el Señor. Típicamente, en este tipo de situación, yo no habría dado una respuesta honesta, porque durante la mayor parte de mi vida me esforcé por cumplir con las expectativas que sentía que otros habían puesto sobre mí, y muchas veces eso significaba mantener una imagen pública de perfección, aunque no fuera un verdadero reflejo de mi propio corazón. Pero cuando el líder de jóvenes hizo esa pregunta, recuerdo claramente haber contestado con una respuesta sincera: “No siento que realmente tenga una relación con el Señor.” Y luego ella preguntó "¿Y qué puedes hacer para cambiar eso?" Yo respondí, “Creo que necesito leer más de la Biblia”. El Señor se me reveló a través de una conversación tan sencilla. Él me estaba abriendo los ojos para reconocer el estado de mi fe; mientras yo había estado fingiendo tener una fe fuerte enfrente de mis compañeros, interiormente me faltaba la intimidad de lo que debería tener la fe verdadera. Al mismo tiempo, me dio la respuesta a una lucha que seguía enfrentando por más de 12 años después de ese momento: para conocer al Señor más profundamente, necesitaba sumergirme en las Escrituras, porque cuando nos encontramos con la Palabra de Dios, nos encontramos con Jesús mismo (Juan 1). Pero me faltaba el deseo de leer las Escrituras, no me sentía impactado por ellas cuando las leía, y había poco animo o responsabilidad para leer y estudiar la Palabra con regularidad, entonces rara vez abría mi Biblia. Pero el Señor sembró una semilla ese día.

Hace aproximadamente dos años y medio, durante una noche de adoración, fue el turno de una amiga de compartir su testimonio con el grupo, y aún yo no había escuchado la historia de cómo llegó a conocer a Cristo, así que estaba ansiosa por escuchar. Pero ella me sorprendió con lo que compartió, porque comenzó a explicar cómo su testimonio fue mucho más allá de una historia de una experiencia que la llevó al Señor; su testimonio fue una historia continua de cómo el Señor estaba obrando y moviéndose en su vida, revelándose a ella y enseñándole. Ella compartió historia tras historia de cómo el Señor estaba apareciendo de maneras pequeñas y grandes en su vida, y me quedé con un montón de preguntas, pero la principal era: “Espera, ¿quieres decir que el Señor constantemente te está hablando directamente y enseñándote?” No entendía este concepto porque nunca lo había experimentado antes. Tener una relación tan cercana con el Señor y encontrarlo a diario era algo que simplemente no conocía, ya que mi experiencia con el Señor siempre había estado marcada por la distancia. Ese día, se sembró otra semilla.

Unos meses después, durante un estudio bíblico, comenzamos a discutir el rol del Espíritu Santo en nuestras vidas, y una pregunta específica fue "¿A quién en la Trinidad oras?" Nunca había pensado mucho en este tema, y cuando empecé a pensar en ello, me di cuenta de que nunca había pensado en el Espíritu Santo como una opción a quien podría dirigir mis oraciones. Él era más abstracto para mí, mientras que el Padre y el Hijo eran más concretos. Podía ver atrás y reconocer cuando el Espíritu Santo había obrado y hablado en varios momentos de mi vida, pero no estaba cerca de él. Esa conversación despertó un deseo de conocerlo y desarrollar una relación con el Espíritu. Ese día, el Señor sembró otra semilla más.

Luego, el Señor me llevó a una comunidad de personas apasionadas por vivir y compartir el evangelio. A medida que pasaban los meses, mi conciencia y conocimiento de la presencia y movimiento del Espíritu Santo habían crecido, y en esta comunidad podía sentir que la presencia del Espíritu Santo era fuerte y palpable. Me encontré rodeada de personas que conocían y amaban profundamente al Señor y estaban inmersas en su Palabra. Reconocía que sus relaciones con el Señor eran profundas e íntimas, que no eran superficiales, como lo había sido la mía durante tanto tiempo. También me di cuenta de que la profundidad de su pasión y amor por el Señor no era algo fugaz o temporal, como lo que yo había experimentado después de retiros o conferencias en el pasado. Era duradera; era quienes eran; penetraba todos los aspectos de sus vidas; era el estado de su corazón; era su identidad. Empecé a encontrarme más con el Espíritu Santo y se hizo presente el deseo de conocer profundamente al Señor que me faltaba. Las semillas que el Señor había estado sembrando estaban creciendo. Y el Señor comenzó a moverse en ese espacio.

Empezó a revelarme hasta qué punto yo no lo conocía. La semilla que él sembró hace más de 12 años, que para conocerlo necesitaba estar en su Palabra, había crecido y estaba dando fruto; por primera vez en mi vida, tuve hambre de leer su Palabra. Deseaba conocerlo y conocer su corazón, y comencé a encontrarlo en las escrituras. Yo comencé a leer y él comenzó a hablar. Empecé a entender que la palabra de Dios verdaderamente es viva y activa (Hebreos 4:12). Empezó a poner palabras específicas en mi corazón y junto con eso trajo una profunda convicción. Lo primero que hizo fue humillarme. Comenzó a despojarme de mi orgullo y a revelarme mi autosuficiencia: dependencia de mí misma sin depender de él, confiando en mi propio intelecto, mi propia sabiduría, mi propio conocimiento, mi propio juicio, mi propia voluntad y mi capacidad de controlar las circunstancias y planificar cuidadosamente y ejecutar todo en mi vida. Me reveló que casi no le estaba dando ningún lugar para moverse y trabajar en mi vida porque yo era tan autosuficiente que creía que no lo necesitaba. Mientras yo afirmaba ponerlo primero y confiar en él, era evidente que ese no era el caso. Mientras me humillaba, comencé a abrir la puerta para permitirle un mayor acceso a mi corazón.

Seguía sumergiéndome en las Escrituras y el Espíritu Santo trajo transformación. Empecé a conocer quién es Dios según su Palabra, y comencé a aprender mi identidad en él, entendiendo mi valor en sus ojos en lugar de los ojos del mundo. Suavemente y amorosamente, pero repetidamente, me corregía y me disciplinaba, como lo hace un buen padre (Hebreos 12). Fue una temporada llena de muchas lágrimas y confrontación en la que recibí su corrección y me ponía vulnerable ante él, reconociendo y pidiendo perdón donde yo no había estado caminando en obediencia o verdad. Al principio me resistía y me ofendía fácilmente por la forma en que me corregía, pero a medida que pasaba el tiempo, me sentía cómoda en esta temporada de incomodidad, acepté la corrección y la esperé, sabiendo que a medida que permitía que él me dirigiera, mi corazón se estaba volviendo más alineado con el suyo. Permití que el Espíritu Santo hablara y gradualmente comencé a soltar la sabiduría humana a la que me había estado aferrando (1 Corintios 3: 18-19). Empecé a aprender y ver claramente que el Espíritu Santo es mi mayor maestro (Juan 14:26; Juan 16:13).

Empecé a soltar la identidad que había creado para mí y permitía que otros la definieran sobre mí, y permití que el Señor me hablara la verdad sobre mi identidad en él. Y al hacerlo, trajo abundante libertad. Me liberó de la identidad en la religión y redirigió mi identidad para estar en él, hablando sobre mí mi identidad como hija del Rey. Me habló de cuánto yo buscaba la aprobación humana, en lugar de la aprobación de él (Juan 12:43). Me mostró cuánto yo estaba viviendo para cumplir las expectativas expresadas y no expresadas de quienes me rodeaban, en lugar de buscar caminar en obediencia a la voluntad del Padre y buscar solo su aprobación. Me mostró que mi enfoque estaba principalmente en el mundo, y no en las cosas de arriba (Colosenses 3:2).

Empecé a aprender cómo adorarlo, honrarlo, alabarlo y glorificarlo, ahora con reverencia e intimidad. Disfruté estar en su presencia, aprender de él, escucharlo hablar y ver cómo me moldeaban y refinaban en el proceso. Empecé a reconocer y soltar a otros ídolos en mi vida, áreas que priorizaba sobre él y cosas que me alejaban de él en lugar de acercarme a él. Empecé a reconocer áreas de incredulidad y comencé a entregarlas al Señor, ganando confianza en su Palabra y sus promesas. Continuó humillándome, pero lo hizo con amor y compasión, afirmándome en mi identidad en él con cada paso. Empecé a ver el fruto de caminar en obediencia con él y de caminar alineado con su voluntad.

A medida que pasaban los meses, seguía impactando mi corazón. Empecé a comprender el alcance de mi quebrantamiento, de cuán indigna era de su sacrificio en la cruz y de la profundidad de su amor por mí al sacrificarse para comprar mi libertad, para clavar mis pecados en la cruz allí mismo con él para librarme de la muerte (Colosenses 2:14). El evangelio era una verdad que conocía y aceptaba, habiendo crecido escuchándolo con frecuencia, pero muy pocas veces en mi vida me había impactado profundamente, como si las palabras fueran tan familiares que hubieran perdido significado para mí. Empecé a preguntarme por qué mi fe no había producido previamente un cambio verdadero y duradero en mi vida, por qué tenía breves momentos de cercanía con el Señor y luego largos períodos de distancia y separación en los que no lo buscaba activamente. Leí este versículo y lo vi como una descripción de mi propio corazón lejano: “El Señor dice: Este pueblo me alaba con la boca y me honra con los labios, pero su corazón está lejos de mí” (Isaías 29:13). Empecé a reconocer que escuchar un mensaje y aceptarlo como verdad era muy diferente a creerlo profundamente de una manera que traiga una transformación distinta. Empecé a comprender que para poder llamar a Jesús mi Salvador de verdad, necesitaba reconocer mi propia necesidad de ser salvada, y necesitaba estar dispuesta a seguirlo y caminar en obediencia con él como él nos ordenó, en lugar de ser el que lo llamó Señor, pero no cumplió su voluntad. “No todo el que me dice: “Señor, Señor”, entrará en el reino de los cielos, sino solo el que hace la voluntad de mi Padre que está en el cielo” (Mateo 7:21). Pero hacerlo requería humildad, y requería que dejara de tratar de ser mi propio salvador: autosuficiente y separada de él. Requería sacrificio, renunciar a mis propios deseos y comodidad, y seguir su voluntad. Requería alejarse de las cosas de este mundo y vivir en el Espíritu, expectante del sufrimiento y el rechazo que vendría como resultado. Todas estas eran cosas que no había estado dispuesta a hacer; en esencia, eran evidencia de que no había estado dispuesta a tomar mi cruz y seguir a Jesús; me estaba aferrando a mi propia vida. “Luego dijo Jesús a sus discípulos: Si alguien quiere ser mi discípulo, tiene que negarse a sí mismo, tomar su cruz y seguirme. Porque el que quiera salvar su vida, la perderá; pero el que pierda su vida por mi causa, la encontrará. ¿De qué sirve ganar el mundo entero si se pierde la vida? ¿O qué se puede dar a cambio de la vida? (Mateo 16: 24-26).

Una noche, el Señor me puso de rodillas en arrepentimiento, convencida y abrumada por el peso de mi pecado, con lágrimas sin parar corriendo por mi rostro. Mi mentalidad hacia el pecado se había basado previamente en una lista de lo bueno y lo malo que se me presentó y que seguí para evitar sentimientos de culpa o para evitar el juicio de quienes me rodeaban, pero casi nada de ello era personal con el Señor. Puede ser difícil reconocer que estás ofendiendo y lastimando a alguien cuando mantienes distancia con esa persona, pero como había cultivado un espacio de intimidad y cercanía con el Señor, mi corazón ahora podía ver cuánto lo había lastimado en mi pecado. Me habló profundamente esa noche, abriéndome los ojos para reconocer formas en las que lo había estado ofendiendo y nunca me había dado cuenta. Esa noche, lloré como nunca lo había hecho; mi espíritu se lamentó en sincero arrepentimiento con la conciencia de que la autosuficiencia y la distancia del Padre no me traerían la vida eterna. Esa noche, la profundidad y el poder del evangelio me golpearon, y llamé a Jesús como mi Señor y mi Salvador, palabras que ya no estaban vacías para mí, sino iban acompañadas de un sincero arrepentimiento, creencia y fe. El mandato era simple: “¡Arrepiéntanse y crean las buenas nuevas!” (Marcos 1:15), pero me tomó hasta este punto de mi vida humillarme y cumplir ese mandato en la forma en que él me lo había pedido. “Si confiesas con tu boca que Jesús es el Señor y crees en tu corazón que Dios lo levantó de entre los muertos, serás salvo. Porque con el corazón se cree para ser justificado, pero con la boca se confiesa para ser salvo. (Romanos 10: 9-10). Esa noche me salvó; por su gracia, me dio el regalo más hermoso que gratuitamente nos ha ofrecido a todos: la salvación. “Porque por gracia ustedes han sido salvados mediante la fe; esto no procede de ustedes, sino que es el regalo de Dios, no por obras, para que nadie se jacte” (Efesios 2:8-9).

En las semanas que siguieron, el Señor me habló repetidamente acerca de caminar de la oscuridad a la luz, de la muerte a la vida. Siguió resaltando la clara diferencia entre la vida anterior y la nueva vida. “Nos ha librado de la potestad de las tinieblas, y trasladado al reino de su amado Hijo, en quien tenemos redención por su sangre, el perdón de pecado” (Colosenses 13-14). Una y otra vez, me llamó la atención la declaración de Pablo: “He sido crucificado con Cristo, y ya no vivo yo, sino que Cristo vive en mí. Lo que ahora vivo en el cuerpo, lo vivo por la fe en el Hijo de Dios, quien me amó y dio su vida por mí. (Gálatas 2:20). El Señor resaltó nuevamente algo que había puesto en mi corazón hace más de un año: el bautismo. Cuando me llamó la atención sobre este tema de la muerte a la vida, destacó pasajes específicos de las Escrituras. “Acaso no saben ustedes que todos los que fuimos bautizados para unirnos con Cristo Jesús en realidad fuimos bautizados para participar en su muerte? Por tanto, mediante el bautismo fuimos sepultados con él en su muerte, a fin de que, así como Cristo resucitó por el poder del Padre, también nosotros llevemos una vida nueva. (Romanos 6: 3-4). “Sepultados con él en el bautismo, en el cual fuisteis también resucitados con él, mediante la fe en el poder de Dios que le levantó de los muertos” (Colosenses 2:12). Aunque ya había sido bautizada cuando era un bebé, había estado en mi corazón durante meses ser bautizada como adulto, profesando mi propia fe, caminando de la oscuridad a la luz, de la muerte a la vida, para dejar atrás lo viejo y caminar hacia el nuevo. Así como el Señor había traído convicción a mi corazón acerca de mi pecado, también trajo convicción a mi corazón de que era hora de caminar en obediencia al profesar mi fe en el bautismo. Entonces, con los ojos llenos de lágrimas de gratitud por la fidelidad de Dios, fui bautizada. “Arrepiéntase y bautícese cada uno de ustedes en el nombre de Jesucristo para perdón de sus pecados —les contestó Pedro—, y recibirán el don del Espíritu Santo” (Hechos 2:38).

Hace un año elegí la palabra crecimiento para describir lo que yo experimenté en el año 2020. Sin duda, la palabra que elijo para el 2021 es intimidad. Fue a través de la intimidad que el Señor me alcanzó. A través de la intimidad se me reveló, me habló, me humilló, me disciplinó, me transformó y me salvó. “Acérquense a Dios, y él se acercará a ustedes” (Santiago 4:8).

Gracias, Jesús, por tu fidelidad y por tu amor inagotable.



Comments