Purpose
Over the last few months, the Lord has been speaking very directly into many different areas of my life, bringing light and clarity into areas of darkness, confusion, and uncertainty. A few weeks ago, the Lord placed a very specific word on my heart that keeps repeating in my mind as I go about day-to-day life:
Your purpose isn’t the place that you work at.
When I put it in writing, I realize it could very easily be read as if he’s saying, “you’re not working with the correct organization; your purpose is in a different place.” But the Lord was very clear when he put this word on my heart that it meant: your purpose is not limited to the place where you are volunteering, your purpose goes beyond that. My sole purpose here in Guatemala is not just to provide occupational therapy services; the Lord is working through me beyond the therapy that I provide. He’s providing other avenues for me to touch the lives of those I’m encountering. When I received this message, I knew the Lord was telling me to be more intentional and observant of where else he wants to use me.
The Lord has also been repeatedly putting the word obedience on my heart. And as transitions happen and change seems like the only constant, I find myself longing to walk in obedience with him, to seek the desires of his heart over my own, and to let go of the need for control that holds me captive more than I would like to admit. As I draw closer to the heart of the Lord and open up my heart to saying yes to him with greater confidence and less resistance, he shows me where he needs me to be his light. He shows me where I need to be obedient from the biggest to the tiniest areas of my life.
This morning (I originally wrote this on March 29th), I went to the migration office in the capital of Guatemala to extend my visa. It was a lengthy process, full of waiting in lines, feeling impatient, trying to rush, and just feeling anxious to get through and be done. Just before stepping into the last line to process my documents, I noticed a woman in the same waiting room, who appeared to be in her early 20s and a North American as well. But something was clearly off. It was written on her face, in her body language, in the way the man at her side wouldn’t allow her to be alone for more than 10 seconds, in the way he returned to her side immediately anytime anyone started talking to her, in the way she kept her head down and avoided eye contact, in the way she didn’t interact with him, in the bruises on her face and the healing incision on her throat. She is not okay. She is not safe. She is being trafficked. She is in danger. Something is terribly wrong.
The thoughts were on repeat in my mind as I tried to observe the situation discreetly, and I began to physically tremble as the anxiety in me began to build, knowing that I had to do intervene in some capacity. I could feel the weight on my shoulders as I recognized the impact one can have when they notice something unusual and speak up instead of just going about their day like normal, not wanting to meddle in the business of others. In that moment, though full of fear of how to help her without increasing the danger she appeared to be in, I knew the Lord was placing it on my heart to be an advocate for her. I knew that this was the opportunity that could allow her to escape a horrific situation and that could give her freedom and safety. How long had she been suffering—days, weeks, years? Nothing else mattered in that moment, not the renewal of my visa, not the amount of time my ride was waiting in the parking lot, not my plans for later in the day, nothing. What mattered was finding a way to bring this woman to safety, to protect her, to get her away from the man, and to get her help in a way where she wouldn’t be hurt in the process.
Your purpose isn’t the place that you work at. Your purpose is not limited to the place where you are volunteering. Your purpose goes beyond that.
So often I want to measure the fulfillment of my purpose in a quantitative manner—the number of therapy sessions, English lessons, or home visits accomplished in a weeks’ time, for example. I maintain the U.S. cultural norm of busy-ness because it’s how we’ve been conditioned to measure our achievement and success. But when I think about how the Lord looks at how I’m fulfilling my purpose, I know this is not the mindset he takes on. Today, I cancelled 3 therapy appointments to be able to make the trip to renew my visa. Did I fulfill my purpose less today because I wasn’t providing therapy? Absolutely not.
This is what the Lord is reinforcing within me—wherever I am, at any given moment, he will present an opportunity for me to be his hands and feet and to shine his light. I have the option of ignoring the nudge of the Lord, or to say “Yes, Lord, I hear you, here I am to serve you, give me the courage and wisdom to carry out what you need from me in this moment.” I can say no to his nudge to avoid an uncomfortable situation, stepping out of my comfort zone, or the inconvenience of a change in my schedule. Or, I can take the time to be attentive and present to the person who truly needs me, despite whatever else I have going on.
Today, I chose to be present. What ended up happening to the woman? I’ll never know. I was able to collaborate with another woman who I had seen interact briefly with her and together we were able to talk with security regarding the seriousness of our concern for her safety. As I finished my visa renewal and was leaving, I saw that the man was no longer in the waiting room with her, the woman was speaking with security, and the other woman who had helped me was praying with her. The worker who completed the final step in my visa process had been observing the entire situation, and he assured me that they would take her to the embassy and make sure she was safe.
I never spoke a word to her, and I’ll never know her name, but I pray that she is safe this evening, I pray that if it was a situation of abuse or human trafficking as it appeared to be, that she is now free and able to return home. I pray for complete healing over her, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, for all the trauma she has endured. I pray for all the people who find themselves in a situation like hers, without a way out, and for those who see them and notice something strange or off, that they would have the courage to say something, even if their concern turns out to be mistaken.
Oftentimes, I think we aren’t in-tune to the impact of our actions or the extent in which we can touch the life of another person and the ripple effect it causes. Every day we are presented with opportunities to influence those around us, and we have the choice of whether that influence is positive or negative. We are a small piece in a big story that matters. Who you are matters. What you do matters. Your interactions with those around you matter. You have a purpose. And I’m confident that your purpose goes far beyond what you probably would define it as in this moment. Be open to the way that the Lord will choose to use you today. Slow down and find stillness and quiet as you go about your day to be able to be present and attentive to hear him when he calls you.
You are beautiful, you are loved, you are heard, you are seen, you have a purpose and you matter.
Much love,
Linds
So often I want to measure the fulfillment of my purpose in a quantitative manner—the number of therapy sessions, English lessons, or home visits accomplished in a weeks’ time, for example. I maintain the U.S. cultural norm of busy-ness because it’s how we’ve been conditioned to measure our achievement and success. But when I think about how the Lord looks at how I’m fulfilling my purpose, I know this is not the mindset he takes on. Today, I cancelled 3 therapy appointments to be able to make the trip to renew my visa. Did I fulfill my purpose less today because I wasn’t providing therapy? Absolutely not.
This is what the Lord is reinforcing within me—wherever I am, at any given moment, he will present an opportunity for me to be his hands and feet and to shine his light. I have the option of ignoring the nudge of the Lord, or to say “Yes, Lord, I hear you, here I am to serve you, give me the courage and wisdom to carry out what you need from me in this moment.” I can say no to his nudge to avoid an uncomfortable situation, stepping out of my comfort zone, or the inconvenience of a change in my schedule. Or, I can take the time to be attentive and present to the person who truly needs me, despite whatever else I have going on.
Today, I chose to be present. What ended up happening to the woman? I’ll never know. I was able to collaborate with another woman who I had seen interact briefly with her and together we were able to talk with security regarding the seriousness of our concern for her safety. As I finished my visa renewal and was leaving, I saw that the man was no longer in the waiting room with her, the woman was speaking with security, and the other woman who had helped me was praying with her. The worker who completed the final step in my visa process had been observing the entire situation, and he assured me that they would take her to the embassy and make sure she was safe.
I never spoke a word to her, and I’ll never know her name, but I pray that she is safe this evening, I pray that if it was a situation of abuse or human trafficking as it appeared to be, that she is now free and able to return home. I pray for complete healing over her, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, for all the trauma she has endured. I pray for all the people who find themselves in a situation like hers, without a way out, and for those who see them and notice something strange or off, that they would have the courage to say something, even if their concern turns out to be mistaken.
Oftentimes, I think we aren’t in-tune to the impact of our actions or the extent in which we can touch the life of another person and the ripple effect it causes. Every day we are presented with opportunities to influence those around us, and we have the choice of whether that influence is positive or negative. We are a small piece in a big story that matters. Who you are matters. What you do matters. Your interactions with those around you matter. You have a purpose. And I’m confident that your purpose goes far beyond what you probably would define it as in this moment. Be open to the way that the Lord will choose to use you today. Slow down and find stillness and quiet as you go about your day to be able to be present and attentive to hear him when he calls you.
You are beautiful, you are loved, you are heard, you are seen, you have a purpose and you matter.
Much love,
Linds
|
I've never doubted God has big plans for you and is already acting through you in such impactful ways, and this is just further proof. You are amazing! We'll be praying for you, that girl and all others in these situations.
ReplyDelete